Add to Technorati Favorites

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Second Unexpected Surprising Thing About Divorce.

We can't stop calling each other "babe" or "hon". When he speaks to me, he automatically calls me "hon", and now he stumbles over it, and then corrects himself. My name in his mouth seems like an seldom-used word from a foreign language. And by foreign, I mean from another planet. I can't recall the last time he used my name.

Even when intoducing me, he'd say "This is my wife", and I'd step up, shake hands and say, "Hi, I'm Connie".

We've agreed he'll call me "homey" for now. I'll compensate by not addressing him at all. Worked for me when I had that evil step-mother. I refused to call her ''Mom", but my upbringing forbade me calling her by her name. So I'd just launch right into what I needed to say. Looking back, I don't think anyone ever even noticed my clever side-stepping of the issue. Likely as not, no one will notice now.

No comments:

Post a Comment